Friday, June 08, 2007

Starbucks

I have a long postition in Starbucks around 1.5% of the fund and I am starting to reassess it. I bought in at at an average of just under $29. From talking to people I've noticed that quite a few have started getting their daily dose of java from McDonalds rather than SBUX. From surveys it appears MCDs coffee is a hands down winner while consumers appear to have lost their appetite for SBUX coffee. There is also a noticeable price difference with MCD coffee going for $1.50 vs around $3 for SBUX. Over the last 3 months MCD has gone from $43 to $51 while SBUX has dropped from $32 to $27. I wonder if this is going to be a long term trend.

UPDATE: disclosure - I have probably drunk less than a dozen cups of coffee in my life. Tried SBUX maybe twice and MCD once. Milk and JW Blue Label are my drinks of choice :)

No comments: